Sunday, November 11, 2007

Did you ever wonder why the Blue Mountains are blue?



Yes - there is an answer to this - and if I could find the marketing buff - I would give it to you. They even have a name to explain the phenomena, but I can't remember it. Suffice it to say that at times they do appear blue.

We camped in Katoomba - next to the scenic look-out over the Three Sisters and Katoomba Falls. We decided to spend the day going out to the Jenolan Caves (about 40 miles into the mountains over some very dangerous roads. We took a coach tour for this one - Karen didn't trust my driving there). The fact that Karen convinced me to tour the Lucas Cave with its 910 steps (NO - I didn't count them - the guide told us the number to ward off the less able prior to going into the cave!) tells you just have awesome it was.

Then back to the campsite where we decided to spend another night - and where we met Claudia and Oli - a couple of teachers (I just can't get away from Karen talking shop - even in Australia) from Hamburg, Germany, who decided to take a year off and travel. They have been touring Australia for the past 4 months and will go on to New Zealand, then Fiji and finally to San Fransisco before returning home.










No comments: